Saturday, March 10, 2012

Under the Influence

I have got to stop drinking so much!

They say that if you start looking at the clock at 4:00 p.m. with an eye to your daily libation at 5:00 p.m., you’ve got a problem. If that’s accurate, then a problem I do indeed have.

I love the feeling of being a bit tiddly. In fact, I crave it, and look forward to it every day. There’s so much in life over which I have no control, so much aggravation, even so much good stuff to celebrate, that it always seems to be time for a libation. I yearn to be transported into the zone where I haven’t a care in the world and all things seem possible.

My drinks of choice: a Cosmo and Three-Buck Chuck!

The Cosmo I was introduced to by my son Dan on his 40th birthday (although any abuse of said cocktail is solely my responsibility). We made Cosmopolitans in quantity for the guests at his party. My favored re-creation of this combination is 1-1/2 parts citron vodka, 1 part triple sec, 1 part pomegranate juice, and 3/4 part lime juice. I am under the influence of this very combo as I write this.

My favorite Three-Buck Chuck is the Charles Shaw Sauvignon Blanc that I purchase at Trader Joe’s. Accuse me all you want of being a cheap drunk, but I love this stuff! It goes with everything and never fails to hit the spot, whether at dinner or with late-night snacks of Sargento string cheese and Triscuits.

Truth be told, I’m not supposed to drink any alcohol with the mild dose of antidepressant that I take. And if I embark on the cleansing and diet routine my daughter-in-law Maria advocates to drop the seven pounds I need to lose, I will have to do without ANY alcohol for a full TEN DAYS. I’m desperate to lose the pounds, so I’m snarfing up Cosmos and Sauvignon Blancs right and left to exhaust my wine and liquor supply in preparation for the dry season ahead.

Will I have sufficient willpower to stay the course? Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment