Monday, February 27, 2012

Road Rage

No, not on my part. Rather, directed at me, twice in one day!

First, a vehicle appears suddenly right on my tail, and, in the rear view mirror, I swear the passenger is giving me the finger! Later, I pull into a parking lot, hungry for a Subway lunch, and there’s a guy yelling at me, “Don’t you look both ways?” Well, I guess not. Sorry, Charlie.

I’m a good driver, really. Accident free so far, except for that one time on a summer job when I borrowed the company car to run an errand downtown, and I parallel parked on the lefthand side of a street with parking meters but no curb and…Crunch! Big dent in the company car’s back door! So embarrassing.
I seem to remember my mom being the one to teach me to drive, while on vacation between my freshman and sophomore years in college, in Northport, Michigan, on miles of empty roads among scrub pines and sand dunes. On a stick shift.

That was the summer my father’s melanoma probably got its start, with all that sun exposure. My behavior probably didn’t help his stress level either, caught as I was between the independence of college and my parents’ need to keep things under control on a home leave from Germany with four kids in tow. That was my summer to be a complete bitch. I copped such an attitude that my dad threatened to put me out of the car as we pulled up to a collection booth on the turnpike. It was also a summer to play at being grown up, as family friends offered me a cocktail when we visited them in New York City. Surprised and a little thrilled, I accepted a Manhattan.

I didn’t really take to the driver’s seat until after I was married. David’s uncle left a small inheritance that enabled us to purchase a cute little powder blue Volkswagon bug. $4,000 it cost us. I drove over hill and dale through the Ohio countryside, David at my side, perfecting my skills, and got my first real driver’s license. A real grown-up now!
  
We took the bug with us to Hawaii when David got accepted for his masters work at the University, and drove it around the island of Oahu every time we had visitors from the mainland. I never tired of that circuit, taking in Hanauma Bay, Blow Hole, Rabbit Island and the bodysurfing beach, the green-tinged volcanic cliffs of the leeward side, the prime surfing spots of the North Shore, the pineapple stands near Wahiawa, and Waipahu, home of Lippi Espinda’s used car lot to which Mr. Espinda himself exhorted us on TV to “Helly on down.”

Then came the pale green Toyota station wagon, brand spanking new when we left Hawaii, picked up in LA, and driven to Pittsburgh, where Dave hoped to earn his PhD. Fast forward to me driving the wagon to work years later and routinely having to lift the hood and stick a screwdriver into the butterfly valve to get it started.

And then there was the Green Machine, the Chevy station wagon that carted our family on sundry vacations out east and west, the most adverse event occurring the time we were all packed for a trip and ran over a pitchfork on the way out of the garage, causing a lengthy delay to call AAA and get the tire repaired.

My first car of my very own, establishing my own credit record, was my copper colored tin can, the Toyota Corolla. I drove it to work every day, proud as punch. Punks threw rocks at it one time when I passed through their neighborhood, and I lit out after them yelling, at least that’s what I think I remember doing.

Then there was my beloved rose grey Toyota Camry, the four-door I bought when I was a manager, financially flush, for taking colleagues and clients to lunch. I loved that car, and when it finally succumbed to old age, felt a surge of emotion on my way to trading it in for the little forest green Honda Civic I have now. So many cars, loved and taken care of and worn out, and all driven safely.

I try to behave myself on the road. No major transgressions yet. But at 66 I wonder how long my luck will hold out.

No comments:

Post a Comment